Rome October 2007 » Wall and City Gates  (20 Slides)     [Page 1 of 1] :: Jump To  
  Up one level Help
PortaSanGiovanni * Port St. John owes its name to the neighboring basilica of St. John Lateran and, as can be seen in the photo above, consists of a large open arc in Aurelian Walls by Giacomo Della Porta, according to some, or of James Duke according to others, but certainly for the will of Gregory XIII (1572-85).  The opening of the port, established the definitive closure of the Port Asinaria in the work of restructuring the Lateran, even for the progressive burial of the door, became inagibile and especially inappropriate for traffic rolling stock.  Port St. John was inaugurated in 1574 at a level much higher than the last, with a model more representative input of a villa that is not to a military defense and fortification.  The portal is devoid of side towers and bastions and only a construction of  toothed and coins placed on the top of the door to help make this entrance to the Eternal City into something more than just a modern arch. * 2048 x 1536 * (611KB)
PortaSanSebastiano_1 * Porta San Sebastiano is the most southern gate in the Aurelian walls in Rome made in the 3th Century A.C. Formerly named Porta Appia because it was at the beginning of the famous Appia road, name was then changed in honor of the martyr Saint Sebastian buried in the nearby basilica. * 2048 x 1536 * (584KB)
PortaSanSebastiano_2 * 2048 x 1536 * (610KB)
PortoPia_1 * Porta Pia is a gate in the Aurelian Walls of Rome. Italy. One of Pope Pius IV's civic improvements to the city, it is named after him. Situated at the end of a new street, the Via Pia, it was designed by Michelangelo in substitution of the Porta Nomentana situated several hundred meters southwards.

Construction began in 1561 and ended in 1565, after the artist's death. A 1561 bronze commemorative medal by Gianfederico Bonzagna shows an early plan by Michelangelo, very different from his final design.[1]. The fašade on the outside of the city was completed in 1869 under the Neo-Classicist design by Virginio Vespignani.

It was through an artillery-opened breach in the wall near here that on September 20, 1870 Bersaglieri soldiers entered Rome and completed the unification of Italy. A monument in the square facing the gate and another in the breach area celebrate the event. The buildings between the two entrances of the gate, once housing the customs, are now the seat of the Historical Museum of the Bersaglieri, with the monumental tomb of Enrico Toti.

Here, on September 11, 1926, the antifascist activist Gino Lucetti threw a bomb against the car transporting Benito Mussolini, but without effect. * 766 x 1149 * (575KB)
PortoPia_2 * Monument to the Bersaglieri soldiers. It was through an artillery-opened breach in the wall near the Porta Pia that on September 20, 1870 Bersaglieri soldiers entered Rome and completed the unification of Italy. * 1536 x 2048 * (1.97MB)
PortoPia_3 * 1733 x 1155 * (878KB)
Porta Pinciana * (7 Slides)
PortaSanPancrazio_1 * Porta S. Pancrazio was erected during the pontificate of Pope Urbanus VIII on the site of Porta Aurelia. It was the key gate of the new walls built to protect the Janiculum and the Pope from attacks coming from the sea.
Porta S. Pancrazio was totally destroyed in 1849. It was not protecting the Pope, but the short-lived Mazzini's Repubblica Romana. For a month Garibaldi resisted the French troops of General Oudinot who had landed in Civitavecchia.
The present gate was rebuilt in 1854 by Virginio Vespignani and the inscription celebrates the return of Pope Pius IX. The coats of arms are an interesting attempt to concile Baroque themes with Neoclassical style.

 * 2048 x 1536 * (1.72MB)
PortaSanPancrazio_2 * Small resturant across from the gate * 2048 x 1536 * (2.09MB)
PortaSanPancrazio_3 * 1792 x 1089 * (1.19MB)
  Porta Pinciana  
Porta S. Paolo * (4 Slides)
  Porta S. Paolo  
Album last updated on 12/4/07 3:16 AM
Powered by JAlbum 7.1 and BluPlusPlus skin