Rome October 2007 » Buildings  (37 Slides)     [Page 1 of 2] :: Jump To  
  You have reached the first page You have reached the first page      Up one level      Next page Last page Help
Monument to Vittorio Emanuele II * (5 Slides)
Palazzo del Quirinale * (7 Slides)
Palazzo Spada * (9 Slides)
MinistryOfEducation_01 * 2637 x 1758 * (1.1MB)
MinistryOfEducation_02 * 2877 x 1916 * (835KB)
  Monument to Vittorio Emanuele II  
  Palazzo del Quirinale  
  Palazzo Spada  
  MinistryOfEducation_01  
  MinistryOfEducation_02  
PalazzoDelleEsposizioni_1 * Palazzo delle Esposizioni Nazionali di Belle Arti (National Fine Arts Exhibition Building) 

An initial competition was announced in 1876, without establishing any designated area but leaving freedom of choice to the planners (some suggested the Piazza del Popolo), and without indicating the amount of money to be allocated to it. It was a very vague announcement which gave few indications of any substance; it states: The building for the aforesaid national Exhibition, on an area to be designated, should occupy a space of 4,000 square metres, on two floors only, and may be surrounded by gardens. Forty projects were presented, and were displayed at the Collegio Romano. A little more than a year later a second competition was published indicating the area in Via Nazionale considered to be the most suitable area for the representative character that the building was to have, and thus it was no accident that it was located in this important urban area representing the central access route to the historic city centre. Seventy-four projects were presented.

After much controversy, and not without some indecision among the commission judges, the winning place was awarded to the project by Pio Piacentini, labelled with the motto Sit quod vis simplex et unum (In the end, make it as you will, as long as it is a simple and unified composition). The construction work only started in 1880 and the building was inaugurated at a solemn ceremony in 1883. * 2048 x 1536 * (1.82MB)
PalazzoDelleEsposizioni_2 * 2048 x 1536 * (1.6MB)
PalazzoDelleEsposizioni_3 * 2048 x 1536 * (1.63MB)
PalazzoGiustiza_1 * Palazzo Giustiza: The triumph of eclecticism was achieved in the design of a colossal building aimed at hosting all the different courts of justice. The aim of the government was to build a monumental palace which would compete with those of the past. The winner of the competition was architect Guglielmo Calderini. The site chosen at the end of a new street which started from Via del Corso, near Chiesa della SS. TrinitÓ and across a new bridge, provided for the building a very fine perspective. It had however the disadvantage of being too close to the river and its marshy shore so that it took 22 years to complete it and the cost was enormous. The palace assembled elements of Renaissance and Neoclassicism styles with a rather Baroque excess of decoration and statues.
Both for its destination and its appearance the Romans labelled it as il Palazzaccio (the ugly palace). * 2304 x 3072 * (3.71MB)
PalazzoGiustiza_2 * 3072 x 2304 * (1.13MB)
  PalazzoDelleEsposizioni_1  
  PalazzoDelleEsposizioni_2  
  PalazzoDelleEsposizioni_3  
  PalazzoGiustiza_1  
  PalazzoGiustiza_2  
PalazzoDelPupazzi * A richly ornate house is the peculiar Palazzo dei Pupazzi(Puppets Palace, 1540), so called after the reliefs featuring suits of armour and grotesque faces that entirely cover its fasade. Among its dwellers was cardinal Felice Peretti, before being elected pope Sixtus V.
 * 1536 x 2048 * (1.96MB)
PiazzaMontiDPeita * Palazzo del Monte di Pieta

The mountain is a public institution, founded in 1539 by Pope Paul III Farnese as agency pledges to combat the phenomenon then rampant loan sharking.  The building was supplied for this purpose in 1603, and the institution moved there from its previous offices in Via dei Coronari. Refurbishment was performed by Carlo Maderno who also built the chapel. The fašade of the building includes, between the two portals, a fountain bearing the emblem of Pope Paul V while, between the first floor windows, there is a niche containing a 'Pieta?' with, on each side, the emblems of Paul III and Clement VIII.  * 2048 x 1536 * (1.49MB)
PalazzoDiFarnese * Palazzo Farnese is a prominent High Renaissance palace in Rome, which currently houses the French Embassy in Italy.

The most imposing Italian palace of the sixteenth century, according to Sir Banister Fletcher, this palace was designed by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger (1484-1546), one of Bramante's assistants in the design of St. Peter's. Construction began in 1515 after one or two years of preparation, commissioned by Alessandro Farnese, who had been appointed as a Cardinal in 1493 at age 25 (thanks to his sister, who was Pope Alexander VI Borgia's official mistress) and was living a princely lifestyle. Work was interrupted by the Sack of Rome in 1527. When in January 1534 Cardinal Alessandro was made pope, as Paul III, he employed Michelangelo to complete the third story with its deep cornice and revise the courtyard, as an emblematic power house suitable to the Farnese family. The massive facade dominates a small piazza; the memorable features of its facade are the alternating pediments that cap the windows of the piano nobile, the central rusticated portal and Michelangelo's projecting cornice. The central window Michelangelo revised when the cardinal became pope, adding an architrave to support the largest coat-of-arms with papal tiara Rome had ever seen. When Paul stepped to the balcony, the entire facade became a setting for his person. The courtyard, initially open arcades, is ringed by an academic exercise in ascending orders (Doric, Corinthian, and Ionic). The piano nobile was garlanded by Michelangelo. * 1775 x 1180 * (1.17MB)
mall * 2048 x 1536 * (1.82MB)
UniversitaDegliStudiRoma * 2048 x 1536 * (1.91MB)
  PalazzoDelPupazzi  
  PiazzaMontiDPeita  
  PalazzoDiFarnese  
  mall  
  UniversitaDegliStudiRoma  
Album last updated on 12/4/07 1:44 AM
Powered by JAlbum 7.1 and BluPlusPlus skin