Spending 3 full days in Berlin is certainly not enough to even scratch the surface. As is our method - each morning we picked a direction and headed off - mostly walking - to take in all the true flavor of the city. The pictrues represent interesting sights as we found them. Even more interesting is researching what we'd seen and photographed.
The Brandenburg Gate (German: Brandenburger Tor) is an 18th-century neoclassical monument in Berlin, built on the orders of Prussian king Frederick William II after the (temporarily) successful restoration of order during the early Batavian Revolution. One of the best-known landmarks of Germany, it was built on the site of a former city gate that marked the start of the road from Berlin to the town of Brandenburg an der Havel, which used to be capital of the Margraviate of Brandenburg. It is located in the western part of the city centre of Berlin within Mitte, at the junction of Unter den Linden and Ebertstraße, immediately west of the Pariser Platz. One block to the north stands the Reichstag building, which houses the German parliament (Bundestag). The gate is the monumental entry to Unter den Linden, the renowned boulevard of linden trees, which led directly to the royal City Palace of the Prussian monarchs. Throughout its existence, the Brandenburg Gate was often a site for major historical events and is today considered not only as a symbol of the tumultuous history of Europe and Germany, but also of European unity and peace.
The Reichstag is a historic edifice in Berlin, Germany, constructed to house the Imperial Diet (German: Reichstag) of the German Empire. It was opened in 1894 and housed the Diet until 1933, when it was severely damaged after being set on fire. After World War II, the building fell into disuse; the parliament of the German Democratic Republic (the Volkskammer) met in the Palast der Republik in East Berlin, while the parliament of the Federal Republic of Germany (the Bundestag) met in the Bundeshaus in Bonn. The ruined building was made safe against the elements and partially refurbished in the 1960s, but no attempt at full restoration was made until after German reunification on 3 October 1990, when it underwent a reconstruction led by architect Norman Foster. After its completion in 1999, it once again became the meeting place of the German parliament: the modern Bundestag.
Wilhelm Rausch, the son of a confectioner master and chocolatier , opened the Rausch Private Confiserie in 1918 in Berlin for the production of chocolates , chocolates and honey cake . Wilhelm Rausch ran seven own confectionery shops in Berlin. His three children continued the business. In 1968, for the 50th anniversary, a new chocolate factory opened in Berlin-Tempelhof. Since the end of September 2015 Rausch Schokolade has only been available in the company's online shop and in its own chocolate house on Gendarmenmarkt in Berlin-Mitte and no longer in stationary retail. The strategy the company is pursuing is called Tree-to-Door . That is, from the cultivation of cocoa, through the production of chocolates, to the delivery to the customer, Rausch keeps everything in his own hands.
The St. Nikolai-Kirche, (Nikolaikirche or St. Nicholas' Church) is the oldest church in Berlin, the capital of Germany. The church is located in the eastern part of central Berlin, the borough of Mitte. The area around the church, bounded by Spandauer Straße, Rathausstraße, the River Spree and Mühlendamm, is known as the Nikolaiviertel 'Nicholas quarter', and is an area of restored mediaeval buildings (in some cases recent imitations). The church was built between 1220 and 1230, and is thus, along with the Church of Our Lady at Alexanderplatz not far away, the oldest church in Berlin.
The Gendarmenmarkt is a square in Berlin and the site of an architectural ensemble including the Konzerthaus (concert hall) and the French and German Churches. In the centre of the square stands a monumental statue of Germany's renowned poet Friedrich Schiller. The square was created by Johann Arnold Nering at the end of the seventeenth century as the Linden-Markt and reconstructed by Georg Christian Unger in 1773. The Gendarmenmarkt is named after the cuirassier regiment Gens d'Armes, which had stables at the square until 1773. During World War II, most of the buildings were badly damaged or destroyed. Today all of them have been restored.
1Fernsehturm The Fernsehturm (English: Television Tower) is a television tower in central Berlin, Germany. Close to Alexanderplatz in Berlin-Mitte, the tower was constructed between 1965 and 1969 by the government of the German Democratic Republic (GDR). It was intended as both a symbol of communist power and of Berlin. It remains the latter today, as it is easily visible throughout the central and some suburban districts of Berlin. With its height of 368 metres (including antenna) it is the tallest structure in Germany, and the second tallest structure in the European Union. Of three tallest structures in Europe, it is 0.5m shorter than the Riga Radio and TV Tower, and 8m taller than the Trbovlje Power Station in 2017.
2Fernsehturm The tower has become one of the most prominent symbols of the country and is often in the establishing shot of films set in Berlin. Due to its location near Alexanderplatz, it is occasionally called Alex Tower.
3Red Town Hall The Rotes Rathaus is the town hall of Berlin, located in the Mitte district on Rathausstraße near Alexanderplatz. It is the home to the governing mayor and the government of the Federal state of Berlin. Height: 328′ - In 1991 the Red Town Hall became again seat of government of the now reunified Berlin. Opened: 1869
4Red Town Hall Red Town Hall , TV Tower and the Old City Hall
5Red Town Hall
6Red Town Hall
7Ngon Restaurant - Berlin
8Neuer Marstall (English: New Stables) - "Long live the social revolution. Long live the peace of the peoples"
9Neuer Marstall (English: New Stables) - "On November 9, 1918, Karl Liebhneght proclaims the Free Socialist Republic"
10European School of Management and Technology
11Former Reichsbank building (Notice the people on top) The former Reichsbank building (in German the Haus am Werderschen Markt) is a building in Berlin, Germany, originally built in 1934–38 to house the Reichsbank, and today housing part of the Foreign Office. ne of the remaining examples of Nazi architecture, the building was commissioned in 1933. The design competition attracted a number of entrants, including two Bauhaus architects who would later have to flee the Nazis, Walter Gropius and Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. It was won, however, by Heinrich Wolff, whose design called for a stone-faced structure over a reinforced concrete core. One of the remaining examples of Nazi architecture, the building was commissioned in 1933. The design competition attracted a number of entrants, including two Bauhaus architects who would later have to flee the Nazis, Walter Gropius and Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. It was won, however, by Heinrich Wolff, whose design called for a stone-faced structure over a reinforced concrete core.
After World War II, the building, now in East Berlin, first housed East Germany's finance ministry, and from 1959 the ruling Socialist Unity Party. Following reunification, a new headquarters for the Foreign Office was built next door, and the former Reichsbank building became part of its office complex, undergoing modifications for that purpose overseen by Hans Kollhoff.
12Schleusen Bridge In 1937 a reconstruction of the bridge both extended and widened it. Fpr the new railing fields the sculptor Kurt Schumacher created two more medallions with sculptural city views from the years 1650 and 1688. The conversion work also promoted four copper plates with the years 1657, 1694, 1863, 1897, the construction work on the lock and the installation of the equestrian statue of William I on the adjacent Schlossfreiheit (1897) refer.
13Spreekanal The Spreekanal (official abbreviation SpK ) in Berlin belongs to the Spree Oder waterway (SOW). Over the centuries, developed from the Cölln moat today, about 2 km long, artificial waterway , which is maintained by the Water and Shipping Office Berlin .
14Spreekanal Fisherman? Spree
16Builders Academy The Bauakademie in Berlin, Germany, was a higher education school for art of building to train master builders.
18Lamp Post - retro
19Berlin State Opera Classical state opera house, reconstructed after WWII, staging ballet & a repertoire of operas. The Berlin State Opera is a German opera company based in Berlin. Its permanent home is the Staatsoper Unter den Linden, commonly referred to as Lindenoper, in the central Mitte district, which also hosts the Staatskapelle Berlin orchestra.
20Main building of Humboldt University The main building of Humboldt University, located in Berlin's "Mitte" district (Unter den Linden boulevard). Monument to Wilhelm von Humboldt in front of the main building. The Humboldt University of Berlin is one of Berlin's oldest universities, founded on 15 October 1811 as the University of Berlin by Frederick William III of Prussia. A Prussian liberal arts university now offering varied courses & alma mater of 29 Nobel laureates.
21Bebelplatz The Bebelplatz (formerly colloquially Opernplatz) is a public square in the central Mitte district of Berlin, the capital of Germany. The square is located on the south side of the Unter den Linden boulevard, a major east-west thoroughfare in the city centre. It is bounded to the east by the State Opera building (hence its prewar name), to the west by buildings of Humboldt University, and to the southeast by St. Hedwig's Cathedral, the first Catholic church built in Prussia after the Reformation. The square is named after August Bebel, a founder of the Social Democratic Party of Germany in the 19th century.
22Humboldt University Faculty of Law The former Royal Library, now seat of the Faculty of Law
23Deutsche Bank Hallway Ceiling
24Deutsche Bank Bank Ceiling
25Deutsche Bank Multiple marble types in the bank hallway
28Hot rod tours
29Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe
30Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe
31Trabant The Trabant (/trəˈbɑːnt/; German pronunciation: [tʀaˈbant]) is an automobile which was produced from 1957 to 1990 by former East German car manufacturer VEB Sachsenring Automobilwerke Zwickau. Trabant means "satellite" or "companion" in German. The Trabi had a steel unibody frame, with the roof, trunk lid, hood, fenders and doors made of Duroplast, a hard plastic made from recycled cotton waste from the Soviet Union and phenol resins from the East German dye industry- a material the Germans nicknamed "racing cardboard" -- and its tiny frame houses a 26 horsepower, two-stroke engine that runs on a mixture of oil and gasoline. When it ceased production in 1989, the Trabant delivered 19 kW (26 horsepower) from a 600 cc (37 cu in) displacement. It took 21 seconds to accelerate from zero to its top speed of 100 km/h. The engine produced a very smoky exhaust and was a significant source of air pollution: nine times the hydrocarbons and five times the carbon-monoxide emissions of the average 2007 European car.
32Zalando TechTower BCS
33Trabi-Museum - Ground Floor "Priced 4 eur, to see 10 old trabants spread in 2 rooms."
34Currywurst - Berlin Fast-food Favorite CurryWurst - A Berlin tradition - consists of a sliced sauage in a curry flavored tomato sauce. It may be an acquired taste. :-) Not suprisingly there is only one museum dedicated to currywurst
35Checkpoint Charlie Checkpoint Charlie became a symbol of the Cold War, representing the separation of East and West. Soviet and American tanks briefly faced each other at the location during the Berlin Crisis of 1961.
41Michaelsen Palais Art Deco Facade - Jugendstil Michaelsen Palais - Built between 1903 and 1904 - it is considered one of the most representative structures of Jugendstil - a german streek of Art Nouveau. Aside from lavish floral and mythical ornaments, one can also find the patriotic ones, reflecting the climate of the period (for an example a relief of Otto von Bismarck). Decorations also allude to medieval times, bringing to mind the mythical times of Germany’s beginnings, according to Gründerzeit (founding times) style.During the II World War the building was severly destroyed It was thoroughly renovated between 1994 and 1996, and then again in 2001 to reflect it’s original look.
47Café-Bistro Les Amis
48Café-Bistro Les Amis
49Galerie Thomas Schulte
50Tietz Brothers' building The administrative block from which the Tietz brothers oversaw their business empire still stands today. Constructed between 1904–1906, the facade is rich in Jugendstil ornamentation, complemented by several beautifully tiled inner courtyards.
51Tietz Brothers' building A Jugendstil classic
52STATELESS STATELESS - / Resistance and failure of the Reich citizens The performer group engages internally for the expansive staging on the TDthe play of fact and fiction, which determines the reality of the imperial citizens and with which the activists put their resistance in the limelight: initiation rites, state founding ceremonies, training and documentation videos of the resisters become the source material.
53City Courthouse The courthouse in Littenstraße - The architectural highlight of the building is the 30.5 meter high entrance hall on Littenstrasse with columns of red and green sandstone and with colored knight motifs on the ground floor and in the staircase. In the floor of the hall are still many of the original tiles with the crown as a royal emblem available. The overall style of the hall with the curved twin spiral staircases and the golden ornamentation of the ceiling formative style is the Art Nouveau style in an expression that is inspired by the Neo-Baroque.
54Alexa - Shopping Mall
56Bubbles Different angle
58Wilhelminian style building from the 1880s, Wilhelminian style building from the 1880s,Near Bertolt Brecht-Platz
60Friedrichstraße Rail Station Rail/underground station with 2008 memorial to Jewish children who departed from it as war refuges. During the onset of the Cold War and its tensions between the Western and the Soviet-occupied sectors of Berlin, the Friedrichstrasse station played an important role for citizens of Berlin to reach their friends and relatives in other sectors of Berlin.
61Paul-Löbe-House State Government Office -The Paul-Löbe-Haus is a legislative building in Berlin next to the Reichstag. It is connected to the Marie-Elisabeth-Lüders-Haus by two super-imposed pedestrian bridges over the river Spree.
62Berlin Main Train Station Came into full operation two days after a ceremonial opening on 26 May 2006. Berlin Hauptbahnhof is the largest train station in Europe. It is located on the site of the historic Lehrter Bahnhof The upper level of the station has six tracks (two of which used for the Berlin S-Bahn) served by three island platforms. The lower level has eight tracks served by four island platforms for main-line trains, plus a further island platform for the Berlin U-Bahn. The lower level is often denoted by 'tief' on travel guides, etc. (thus the calling point may be "Berlin Hbf (tief)"). There is no rail connection between the upper and lower level track in the station area (or anywhere else nearby). 1,800 trains call at the station per day and the daily number of passengers is estimated to be at 350,000
63Moltke bridge Moltke Bridge is a bridge over the Spree River in Berlin, Germany. Completed in 1891, it connects Alt-Moabit near the main railway station on the north bank to Willy-Brandt-Straße and the Chancellery on the south bank. The bridge is named after Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke the Elder (1800–1891), chief of staff of the Prussian Army for thirty years. Moltke died just before the bridge's completion and it was inaugurated by his funeral cortege. The bridge has three crossed arches spanning the Spree made from red Main sandstone, decorated with statues of Johannes Boesen, Carl Piper and Carl Begas.
64Moltke Bridge Berlin Stone Head of Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke The bridge saw heavy fighting during the Battle of Berlin in April 1945 at the end of World War Though damaged, the bridge was one of the few to survive the war and looks similar to the original construction, though it was repaired and strengthened to take the weight of modern traffic.
65German Chancellery The German Chancellery is an agency serving the executive office of the Chancellor of Germany, the head of the federal government, currently Angela Merkel.
66House of World Cultures The House of World Cultures in Berlin is Germany's national centre for the presentation and discussion of international contemporary arts, with a special focus on non-European cultures and societies. It was formerly known as the Kongresshalle conference hall, a gift from the United States, designed in 1957 by the American architect Hugh Stubbins as a part of the International Building Exhibition. Typical for Berlin popular humour, Berliners nicknamed it Die schwangere Auster ("The pregnant Oyster")
67Near the "Snake Building"
68Marie-Elisabether-Lüders-Haus - Barb wire on roof Stephan Braunfels designed the Marie-Elisabether-Lüders-Haus in Berlin’s Regierungsviertel, completed in 2003. The house contains the Parliamentary Library and Archives for the nearby Reichstag, and it is part of the goverment Band des Bundes.
69The World Clock The World Clock (German: Weltzeituhr), also known as the Urania World Clock (German: Urania-Weltzeituhr) is a large turret-style world clock located in the public square of Alexanderplatz in Mitte, Berlin. By reading the markings on its metal rotunda, the current time in 148 major cities from around the world can be determined. Since its erection in 1969, it has become a tourist attraction and meeting place. In July 2015, the German government declared the clock as a historically and culturally significant monument. - viewed from the TV Tower.
70Festival of Lights on Humboldt Forum
71Birkenstraße U9 Subway Map
72K9 on the U9
73SuperDry Berlin Fashion chain for men & women blending vintage Americana with Japanese & British inspirations. A landmark
74"Fat Landlady" Restaurant Cozy pub & restaurant for regional cuisine, with wood paneling, knick-knacks on the walls & terrace.