A 6 hour Stockholm 5h Grand tour via Alla Tours. The name Stockholm first appears in historical records in letters written by Birger Jarl and King Valdemar dated 1252. During the end of the 13th century, Stockholm quickly grew to become not only the largest city in Sweden, but also the de facto Swedish political centre and royal residence. So, from its foundation, Stockholm has been the largest and most important Swedish city, inseparable from and dependent of the Swedish government Note: If a picture is small - click onthe "expand" icon in the upper right corner
Thе Kaknas Television Tower is located in thе northern district оf Djurgården. It is known аs thе tallest manmade structure in Scandinavia, standing аt 152m (499 ft.)
Image 3 of 93
Image 4 of 93
Stockholm Concert Hall - Famous neoclassical concert hall hosting the renowned Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
Image 5 of 93
Market in the square in front of the concert hall
Image 6 of 93
The Central Post Office Building (Swedish: Centralposthuset or Centralposten) is a historical building at 28-34, Vasagatan in central Stockholm, Sweden. Inaugurated in 1903 and designed by architect Ferdinand Boberg (1860–1945), the building was the headquarters of Posten (Swedish post services) until 2003.
Image 7 of 93
It is currently serving as the offices for the of the Ministry of Enterprise and some functions of the Government Offices, after an extensive rebuild in April 2008.
Image 8 of 93
Grill and Bar - not Bar and Grill. hmmm.
Image 9 of 93
Ministry of the Environment and Energy (Sweden)
Image 10 of 93
Image 11 of 93
Image 12 of 93
Stockholm City Hall is the building of the Municipal Council for the City of Stockholm in Sweden. The construction took twelve years, from 1911 to 1923. Nearly eight million red bricks were used. The dark red bricks, called "munktegel" (monks's brick).Construction was carried out by craftsmen using traditional techniques. The building was inaugurated on 23 June 1923, exactly 400 years after Gustav Vasa's arrival in Stockholm. Verner von Heidenstam and Hjalmar Branting delivered the inaugurational speeches.
Image 13 of 93
Image 14 of 93
The City Hall tower is crowned by the Three Crowns, an old national symbol for Sweden. The tower is 106 metres high and is accessible by an elevator or by a stair of 365 steps. The eastern side of its base is decorated with a gold-plated cenotaph of Birger Jarl.
Image 15 of 93
Image 16 of 93
Image 17 of 93
Image 18 of 93
Image 19 of 93
Image 20 of 93
Image 21 of 93
The Riddarholm Church (Swedish: Riddarholmskyrkan) is the burial church of the Swedish monarchs. It is located on the island of Riddarholmen, close to the Royal Palace in Stockholm, Sweden. The congregation was dissolved in 1807 and today the church is used only for burial and commemorative purposes. Swedish monarchs from Gustavus Adolphus (d. 1632 AD) to Gustaf V (d. 1950) are entombed here (with exceptions such as Queen Christina who is buried within St. Peter's Basilica in Rome), as well as the earlier monarchs Magnus III (d. 1290) and Charles VIII (d. 1470). It has been discontinued as a royal burial place in favor of the Royal Cemetery.
Image 22 of 93
It is one of the oldest buildings in Stockholm, parts of it dating to the late 13th century, when it was built as a greyfriars monastery. After the Protestant Reformation, the monastery was closed and the building transformed into a Protestant church. A spire designed by Willem Boy was added during the reign of John III, but it was destroyed by a strike of lightning on July 28, 1835 after which it was replaced with the present cast iron spire.
Image 23 of 93
Image 24 of 93
To many Stockholmers, Fåfängan is synonymous with summer. The outdoor seating area is bordered by linden tree topiary, and it boasts one of the most beautiful views in Stockholm, over the sea approach to the city, Djurgården and Gamla Stan.
Image 25 of 93
Image 26 of 93
Image 27 of 93
Image 28 of 93
Ersta Terrass - Middle Terrace is located at the top of Fjällgatan and boasts views across the water, Djurgården and the Old Town.
Image 29 of 93
Pictures from Ersta Terrass
Image 30 of 93
Pictures from Ersta Terrass
Image 31 of 93
Pictures from Ersta Terrass
Image 32 of 93
Pictures from Ersta Terrass
Image 33 of 93
Pictures from Ersta Terrass
Image 34 of 93
Pictures from Ersta Terrass -Bustleing port for ferries, cruise ships, etc.
Image 35 of 93
Image 36 of 93
Image 37 of 93
Image 38 of 93
Front of the Royal Palace.
Image 39 of 93
Front of the Royal Palace.
Image 40 of 93
Image 41 of 93
The Stockholm Palace or The Royal Palace (Swedish: Stockholms slott or Kungliga slottet) is the official residence and major royal palace of the Swedish monarch (the actual residence of King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia is at Drottningholm Palace). The offices of the King, the other members of the Swedish Royal Family, and the offices of the Royal Court of Sweden are located here. The palace is used for representative purposes by the King whilst performing his duties as the head of state.
Image 42 of 93
The Stockholm Palace has been in the same location since the middle of the 13th century when the Tre Kronor Castle was built. The palace was designed by Nicodemus Tessin the Younger and erected on the same place as the medieval Tre Kronor Castle which was destroyed in a fire on 7 May 1697. The palace was not ready to use until 1754, when King Adolf Frederick and Queen Louisa Ulrika moved in, but some interior work proceeded until the 1770s. No major conversions have been done in the palace since its completion, only some adjustments, new interiors, modernization and redecorating for different regents and their families, coloration of the facades and addition of the palace museums.
Four sculptures (two to the right and two to the left side of the South Arch), illustrates the abductions of women and are made by Bernard Foucquet the Elder at the beginning of the 18th century, but the sculptures were not installed until 1897. The group were made at the initiative of King Oscar II to fill the previously empty niches in the triumphal arch.
Image 43 of 93
The Royal Chapel (Swedish: Slottskyrkan) is a church located inside the Stockholm Palace. It belongs to the Church of Sweden. The Royal Parish's members consist of the employees of the Royal Court and their families. Carl Hårleman completed the chapel´s interior in the middle of the 1700s, to a large part following Tessin the Younger´s drawings. Sculptures, statues and ceiling paintings have been carried out by the foremost craftsmen of the period The benches in the Royal chapel is reamins from the old Castle Tre kronor some of the few things that where saved from the great fire in 1697.
Image 44 of 93
The congregation is the Royal Court without any geographical limitation, this mean that anyone who is employed at the Royal Court or has been employed can be a member of the congregation. The King appoints a bishop to be preacher in the church.
The paintings in the ceiling are made by both French and Swedish artist,Guillaume Taraval, Jacques-Philippe Bouchardon and Sergel and represents Christ ascension to heaven.
The Gren-Stråhle organ is built by Mats Arvidsson and has the same sound as organs from the 18th century. Above the organ you can see a text saying "Laudate Dominum in Sanctis" which means "Sing the Gods praise in this sanctuary".
Image 45 of 93
The Altarpiece shows Jeasus in Getsamane and is made by Jacques Bouchardon but completed by Sergel. It took until 1779 before the altarpiece was finnished.
Image 46 of 93
Both the Pulpit and the Altarpiece is made by Jacques Bouchardon. If you take a closer look you can see that the Pulpit is carried by 4 symbols for the gospels by Mathew (The Angel), Mark (The Lion), Luke (The Ox) and John (The Eagle).
Image 47 of 93
Sankt Nikolai kyrka (Church of St. Nicholas), most commonly known as Storkyrkan (The Great Church) and Stockholms domkyrka (Stockholm Cathedral), is the oldest church in Gamla Stan, the old town in central Stockholm, Sweden. It is an important example of Swedish Brick Gothic. Storkyrkan was first mentioned in a written source dated 1279 and according to tradition was originally built by Birger Jarl, the founder of the city itself. For nearly four hundred years it was the only parish church in the city, the other churches of comparable antiquity originally built to serve the spiritual needs religious communities (e.g., Riddarholm Church). It became a Lutheran Protestant church in 1527
Image 48 of 93
Image 49 of 93
In the backyard of the Finnish church in Gamla stan (Old Town) one finds Stockholm’s smallest statue. The sculpture is only 15 cm high. The sculpture of the Swedish artist Liss Eriksson (1919 – 2000) is actually named “Little boy looking at the moon”. However, it is usually just called “Järnpojke”, the “Iron Boy”
Image 50 of 93
The sculpture is said to bring good luck to anyone who caresses the boy’s head or offers a small gift to him. The head is completely polished from all loving hands.
Image 51 of 93
Saint George and the Dragon at Köpmantorget in Gamla stan - is a 1912 bronze replica of the wooden famous sculpture by Bernt Notke from 1489. The statue had been commissioned by the Swedish regent Sten Sture the Elder, to commemorate Sture's victory over King Christian I of Denmark in the 1471 Battle of Brunkeberg.
Image 52 of 93
The original sculpture in Sankt Nikolai kyrka - also serves as a reliquary, containing relics supposedly of Saint George and six other saints. Saint Blasius, Saint Germanus, Saint Leo, Saint Martinus, Saint Donatus och Saint Cyriacus. The Saint George is a representative of Sten Sture, The dragon is the Danish King Christian I, and the Princess is Sweden.
Image 53 of 93
Sculpture next to the Saint George Statue - of the Princess being saved which represents Sweden (?)
Image 54 of 93
Image 55 of 93
Image 56 of 93
Uppland Runic Inscription 53 is a runestone built into a wall in the intersection between the thoroughfares Prästgatan and Kåkbrinken in Gamla stan, the old town in central Stockholm, Sweden.
Image 57 of 93
About half a metre tall and richly decorated with an arabesque of winding loops, the body of the dragon still carries fragments of the commemorative message: The inscription says: "Torsten and Frögunn they (raised the) ... stone in memory of ... their son." The stone was used as building material in the foundations of the house.
Image 58 of 93
The cannon was placed there in the 17th century to protect the corner from coaches.
Image 59 of 93
RESTAURANT JÄRNTORGSPUMPEN - Aquavit is a distilled spirit made from grain or potatoes, much like vodka. What sets it apart is the addition of distilled extracts of a range of herbs and spices. Caraway is the most common flavoring, the one most people think of when they think of aquavit. But dill, coriander, citrus, cinnamon and Madeira are also widely used. In Sweden, aquavit is a staple during the appetizer course in midsummer meals. Swedes have many drinking songs that are meant to accompany the combination of aquavit and smoked fish.
Image 60 of 93
RESTAURANT JÄRNTORGSPUMPEN -Swedish herring platter - Pickled Herring - Mustard, Tomato, and Onion vareities. Unexpectedly this was much better than it sounds, at least for me
Image 61 of 93
RESTAURANT JÄRNTORGSPUMPEN - Who could resist having Swedish meatballs - Viltköttbullar - Swedish reindeer- and elk meatballs, lingon berries, cream sauce
Image 62 of 93
Image 63 of 93
Image 64 of 93
The Nobel Museum (Swedish: Nobelmuseet) is a museum devoted to circulate information on the Nobel Prize, Nobel laureates from 1901 to present, and the life of the founder of the prize, Alfred Nobel (1833-1896).
Image 65 of 93
The museum is, together with the Swedish Academy and the Nobel Library, located in the former Stock Exchange Building (Börshuset) taking up the north side of the square Stortorget in Gamla stan, the old town in central Stockholm, Sweden.
Image 66 of 93
Fountain in the square in front of the Nobel museum.
Image 67 of 93
Image 68 of 93
The Parliament House (Swedish: Riksdagshuset), is the seat of the parliament of Sweden. The building complex was designed by Aron Johansson in the Neoclassical style, with a centered Baroque Revival style facade section. Parliament House was constructed between 1897 and 1905. The two buildings of the complex were originally constructed to house the Riksdag in one, and the Sveriges Riksbank (Swedish National Bank) in the second, of a semicircular shape.
Image 69 of 93
Image 70 of 93
Fish stocking -The dominating management incentive of fish stocking is to counteract uncertainty by creating constant fish catches, thereby supporting sports fishing, tourism and providing local employment.
Image 71 of 93
Image 72 of 93
Image 73 of 93
Image 74 of 93
Image 75 of 93
Image 76 of 93
Image 77 of 93
Image 78 of 93
John Ericsson (July 31, 1803 – March 8, 1889) was a Swedish-American inventor and mechanical engineer, as was his brother Nils Ericson. He was born at Långbanshyttan in Värmland, Sweden, but primarily came to be active in England and the United States. He is remembered best for designing the steam locomotive Novelty (in partnership with engineer John Braithwaite) and the ironclad ship USS Monitor.
Image 79 of 93
The Royal Dramatic Theatre (Swedish: Kungliga Dramatiska Teatern or Dramaten) is Sweden's national stage for "spoken drama", founded in 1788. Around one thousand shows are put on annually on the theatre's eight running stages. The theatre has been at its present location in the Art Nouveau building at Nybroplan, Stockholm since 1908. The theatre was built by the architect Fredrik Lilljekvist. Famous artists like Carl Milles and Carl Larsson were involved in making the decorations, and some of the interior decorations were made by Prince Eugen.
The theatre's acting school, Dramatens elevskola, produced many actors and directors who would go on to be famous, including Gustaf Molander (who also taught there), Alf Sjöberg, Greta Garbo, Vera Schmiterlöw, Signe Hasso, Ingrid Bergman, Gunnar Björnstrand, Max von Sydow, and Bibi Andersson. The school was split off as a separate institution in 1967 (see Swedish National Academy of Mime and Acting).
Image 80 of 93
In 1907-1911 the buildings was created – a beautiful Art Nouveau palace with two wings flanking a central courtyard. During the 1930’s Depression, many of the building’s tenants moved out, but in the following decades it housed the embassies of Romania, Chile, Persia, Hungary, Italy and Canada.
Image 81 of 93
Biologiska museet - It exhibits a collection of stuffed European birds and mammals in dioramas. Some of the diorama backgrounds were created by artist Bruno Liljefors, known for his dramatic paintings of Scandinavian wildlife. The museum was built in 1893 after a design by architect Agi Lindegren who was inspired by medieval Norwegian stave churches.
Image 82 of 93
Image 83 of 93
Cirkus (Cirkus Arena och Restaurang AB) is an arena in Djurgården, Stockholm, that holds 1,650 people. It was originally used as a circus (the old official name being Cirkusteatern), but is today mostly used for concerts and musical shows.
Cirkus - The French circusman Didier Gautier became a Swedish citizen in 1830, and was granted permission to build a permanent circus building on Djurgården in Stockholm. In 1869 Didi Gautier sold his circus Didier Gautiers menagerie to Adèle Houcke. The building took fire later, and was rebuilt in 1892 as present Djurgårdscircus.